Autre Monde Cafe brings three new “green” options to Berwyn
After celebrating its second anniversary on July 16, Autre Monde Cafe & Spirits has many reasons to be proud. First, the Mediterranean restaurant can now boast that it is Berwyn’s first Green Seal Certified Restaurant! Since 1989, Green Seal has maintained this high-integrity environmental certification programs in the US to help shoppers find truly green products and services.
This milestone rests on the cafe’s strong green initiatives, including:
- Many of its herbs and tomatoes are grown on-site in the greenhouse and patio garden.
- All of its cooking oil is recycled into green cleaning products. Nothing goes into a trap.
- The space’s construction and design used green building materials; tables, bar and chairs are re-purposed; and many dishes are fabricated by Dudson China, which has the lowest carbon footprint of any commercial producer.
- All of our papergoods (including our menus) and the majority of our cleaning supplies are made from recycled and green sources.
- The vast majority of its food and spirits program is dedicated to showcasing producers who are local, organic or artisan makers with a profound commitment to the highest quality products with the lowest possible harm to the planet.
In following with the commitment to local production, the restaurant has launched a Bi-Weekly Crop Swap on Sundays in July and August. Amateur area gardeners are welcome to swap their bounty with each other. From 2:30-4:30pm on July 7 & 21 and August 4 & 19, all local home and community gardeners can come to the restaurant, bring bunches of extra garden items like tomatoes and trade them for someone else’s surplus, like cilantro or spinach. Best of all, it’s FREE! The restaurant does ask that you register in advance at email@example.com or 708-775-8122 and commit to showing up at least two of the four dates.
For those seeking a larger commitment, Autre Monde is continuing its CSA partnership with Montalbano Farms. It is still not too late to sign up! Shares are prorated based on the sign up date so if you are still interested be sure to check out their website.